I love a podcast. Love them. I think I would even go as far to say that I am a bit of a podcast-junkie.
I started listening to podcasts before I started University, some six years ago (jeez). I definitely can’t claim to be an OG podcast-listener – the industry was already in full-swing when I started consuming podcasts regularly – but I have definitely seen a huge amount of growth in the podcast space and watched the podcast industry grow, seemingly exponentially, over the past few years.
I do feel that the ‘podcast space’ is starting to have an air of “anyone whose anyone, of influence or otherwise, has a podcast”, and if you don’t, then why not?
But don’t get me wrong, I’m loving it. I am 100% here for it. When I’m not listening to a podcast, I find myself telling other people about something I heard in a podcast recently, or recommending podcasts that I think they should listen to.
I could be the poster-girl for podcast listening.
I assume that the majority of you who are reading this blog post, are here because you already know what a podcast is, and are hoping that I will shed some light on a new series that you can get your teeth into. But for those who might be less familiar, let me be the one to enlighten you.
Think; ‘radio, but not live’. Also think; ‘music download, but not singing’. And think; ‘Netflix, but for your ears’.
A podcast is like a pre-recorded radio show, available via digital download/streaming. They usually run in series’ and broken down into individual episodes of anything from 5 minutes to 2 hours (I’m looking at you, Joe Rogan).
There are hundreds of thousands of podcasts out there – pick an interest, and you’ll likely find a podcast about it. Pick an industry professional you admire, and they’ve probably featured on a podcast somewhere – or better still, they might have their own. Even Prince Harry has been known to dip his toe into the podcasting world, opening up about his experiences with his mental health, in an interview with the wonderful Bryony Gordon on her podcast, Mad World.
My Podcast Recommendations
I would say that 90% of the series’ in my podcast library are from the genre of ‘health’, ‘fitness’, ‘wellness’ or any variation thereof. Shocker, I know. The other 10% of my podcast library is made up of motivational/self-help podcasts and true crime. It’s an eclectic mix.
For today I thought I’d just dive into my recommendations on the health/fitness/wellness side – it’s a bit more ‘on brand’ with the blog, I think (but you can def. let me know if you want to hear more recommendations from this 10% too). Below you’ll find my top series picks – podcasts I listen to regularly, or older series’ that are worth catching up on. And whilst I’ve enjoyed almost every episode of each series, my top-three (or sometimes four) episode recommendations are listed as well, so you’ve got somewhere to start!
So, in no particular order, let’s jump straight in…
The Deliciously Ella Podcast
- S2, E11: How Our Brains Control Our Happiness
- S1, E9: Matt Haig on Mental Health
- S1, E4: Gut Health; Why It Matters
Feel Better, Live More with Dr Rangan Chatterjee
- #70: Why Sleep is the Most Important Pillar of Health with Professor Matthew Walker
- #57: Mental Health and Body Image with Natasha Devon MBE
- #55: Eating for Longevity with Professor Valter Longo
Fit and Fearless hosted by The Girl Gains
- The Truth About Carbs (with The Rooted Project)
- The Comparison Coach (with Lucy Sheriden)
- Realising Your Worth, with The Slumflower
- Food and Mental Health (with Kimberley Wilson)
Power Hour hosted by Adrienne Herbert
- S1, E49: Tally Rye
- S1, E47: Venetia Falconer
- S1, E26: Lucy Gornall
Food For Thought, hosted by Rhiannon Lambert
- How to Fuel Fitness (with James Collins)
- Chessie King
- Zanna Van Dijk
The Food Medic Podcast, hosted by Dr Hazel Wallace
- S2, E8: Sustainable Food
- S2, E5: Ditching the Diet, with Laura Thomas
- S1, E7: Clean Eating and Orthorexia
The Doctor’s Kitchen, hosted by Dr Rupy Aujla
- S3, E4: Eat for Stress, with Dr Rangan Chaterjee
- S3, E10: Eat for Endometriosis, with Dr Anita Mitra
- S1, E5: Eat Plants
I honestly could go on with even more – but I will leave it there for now to give you all some time to catch up. Maybe I’ll follow up in a few months and let you know if I have discovered anything new.
If you have any other recommendations of podcasts that I might not have already listened to, I’d love to hear them! Leave me a comment, or drop me a message on Instagram (@moll_eatsandlifts). You can also let me know if you listen to any of the episodes I’ve mentioned about – I’d love to hear what you think!
Happy podcasting, team.
Until next time,